Old Soldier When He Wasn't Old

Old Soldier When He Wasn't Old
Here I am after Infantry Basic Trainnig back in the 80's

Old Soldier Today

Old Soldier Today
Here is the current version of me.

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Firing Range





As I said in an earlier post, we are soldiers first, so here I am at the firing range with my trusty M-16 shooting pop-up targets. It's pretty awesome nailing a target that is 300 meters away with just plain old iron sites...very satisfying. I've done this before and am a great shot, but let me tell you these nurses and Docs are all doing great with their weapons. I know this because the cadre were short handed on the range one day so they asked if anyone was prior service in combat arms and would help out as a range safety, so I volunteered. I spent half of the day helping folks learn to fire. All I have to say is pity the fool that thinks a bunch of Docs and nurses are an easy target because these folks are all trained and deadly and worse yet...they really get off on this stuff. The pic that I posted here that has three soldiers in it is of LT Hamlin firing. She is a PA that is a prim an proper southern girl who takes time to put on make up in morning out on the FOB, but look at her blasting away in the prone, unsupported firing position like a killer. It sort of cracked me up. Anyway, days on the firing range are always long and tiring, but shooting is always fun in my book so it's well worth it. Once again...I'm proud as hell to serve with these good people.

No comments:

Post a Comment